Monday, July 24, 2017


 COMMON COURTESY?
By Alice Jensen, 7-23-17

          For those of you who are under forty: How many of you know what is in the above picture? How many of you have ever touched one? How many of you have ever been taught the common courtesy of how and when to use one?

          What ever happened to the most basic of common courtesies? Either we aren’t teaching them or we are choosing to just ignore them. So, this old lady is going to sit you down and give you a lesson that I hope you don’t soon forget.

          Thank you cards are to be used to thank people for the gifts they have given to you. Within your immediate family, so long as you live under the same roof, they do not need to be used. (But it wouldn’t hurt to give one to a parent or sibling every now and then.) However, whenever you receive a gift or unpaid service from anyone, you should sit yourself down and write a short little thank you card or note. I can tell you that it will be greatly appreciated.

          In the last ten years (at least) I have received fewer thank you cards or notes than I can count on one hand from those under the age of forty. And “No!” a thank you note sent by email or on Facebook does not count. Writing a thank you card or note should entail just a little bit of work and a little bit of money and a little bit of time for it to be a true thank you card from your heart. I will admit though, a written thank you even if it is sent through the internet is better than nothing.

          I have given gifts and I have performed free services for others and sometimes I haven’t received even a verbal thank you. I am not trying to guilt anyone nor am I looking for sympathy. I am just trying to get folks to be more thankful and grateful and appreciative, and to physically express it to others. I can tell you from experience that when I don’t receive any type of thanks at all, I tend to withhold my gifts and talents from the ungrateful recipient. I know, I know, that isn’t very Christ-like, but you do notice that Jesus didn’t do very much for those who were so full of themselves they didn’t think they even needed Him…like the Pharisees.

          So, anyhow, it is very easy and very simple to just go to the store, including the secondhand and dollar type stores, and purchase yourself a package of cards. Keep them where you will remember to use them, and then use them every time someone gives you a gift or provides a service to you, especially if it is a free service for which you would have had to pay a whole lot more than it will cost you to just write a simple thank you card.

          “In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” I Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment