Saturday, April 4, 2009

Guardianship

Who wants to be a parent to an adult child for the rest of their life? We never thought we would be one of the blessed few who are in this position. When our daughter was born almost 27 years ago, we had all sorts of dreams, desires, and goals for her. Instead, nearly all of those have gone by the wayside and new ideals have been born. So, here we are getting ready to become her legal guardians. Becoming "legal parents" to our adult child. It almost makes me want to scream. "This should not be happening!"
And then Truth comes to light. I am an adult child of my Father. And He will always provide and care for me. When I accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour, I became one with him. But at that same time, God the Father also adopted me. That's what the Bible means when it says that we are heirs and joint-heirs. As a part of the body of Christ, I am an heir. As an adopted child, I am a joint-heir. That is an awesome deal when you really think about it. Heir and joint-heir! God the Father has become my eternal-guardian parent.
So, it may not be the "norm" to become a "legal parent" to my adult daughter, but it is a blessing. I am very grateful to the Lord for allowing our daughter to be the special person that she is and for allowing us to be her parents for as long as we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment